I write like…

datePosted on 13:36, July 16th, 2010 by Lew

Via PC, a nifty tool: feed it some text and it tells you who you write like.

From a more-or-less random sample of my writing on this site, more than 50% comes back telling me I write like David Foster Wallace. I’d never heard about him until now, but wikipedia lists his form as “postmodern literature” and “hysterical realism”. I can see how that cap would fit. But Wallace hanged himself in 2008. That’s not so good.

Outliers include the post from the other day about tits and teeth news presenter selection, which is like Stephen King, possibly confirming Pablo’s dim view of it. The dam breaks, my only real attempt at satire, apparently reads like James Joyce. My epic and furious response to Chris Trotter from a while back is in the style of H P Lovecraft, which I think is rather fitting.

L

14 Responses to “I write like…”

1. Eddie C on July 16th, 2010 at 14:20

Well if it said you’d written The Stand it’d be a compliment. Most other things by King, not so much.

…and apparently my PhD proposal is David Foster Wallace, too.

2. Me on July 16th, 2010 at 15:02

Via PC, a nifty tool: feed it some text and it tells you who you write like.

A hahaha! Fed in a brief extract from my thesis and it said I write like Dan Brown!

*looks about for big cheque, obviously misplaced somewhere*

3. Tom Semmens on July 16th, 2010 at 15:45

I tried two lots of my prose; both reported me as Oscar Wilde, which isn’t that bad.

4. Carol on July 16th, 2010 at 16:30

A piece of mine on web fiction series, aiming at a relatively general fan audience came up as DF Wallace.

A part of my post on the history of education on the Standard, came up as HP Lovecraft.

Well I would have thought the first piece was closest to Lovecraft’s (as reported) weird science fiction. I don’t think it’s a very good programme for analysing writing style.

5. Pablo on July 16th, 2010 at 17:26

Hmmm. I also came up as DF Wallace, although I believe that he resembled MY writing style! :-0
    ( I use the past tense because he has left this mortal coil).

It looks like the writing analysis generator is a bit crude, and anything dry and analytical is viewed as DF Wallace-ish.

6. marty mars on July 16th, 2010 at 18:05

1 paragraph gave me david foster wallace

3 came back with margaret atwood and alas, 7 back to DFW

I’m going to have to brighten up the posts with a bit more colour :)

7. Pascal's bookie on July 16th, 2010 at 20:39

I write like David Foster Wallace too, or occasionally Dan Brown (so I too can wear the cone of shame).

Interestingly, David Foster Wallace writes like Stephen King, who writes like Stephenie Meyer.

hmmm.

8. Pascal's bookie on July 16th, 2010 at 21:00

Has Tolley seen this?

Year 3 – Dan Brown
    Year 4 – Stephen King

Sort of thing.

9. Lew on July 16th, 2010 at 21:13

Bookie, I fed it Joyce and it came back … Joyce. Trotter comes back as Kurt Vonnegut. Danyl mimicking Trotter comes back as … Wallace.

But when I feed it Anne Tolley’s latest press release, it returns “Douglas Adams”. I think Adams would enjoy the weirdness of that.

L

10. Pascal's bookie on July 16th, 2010 at 21:27

Nice.

11. DaveW on July 17th, 2010 at 00:54

lol Quite fitting really.

My style must be rather different to you guys, according to the site I write like Mario Puzo??

12. Hugh on July 17th, 2010 at 14:04

I fed it my entire thesis and it came out as Wallace. Which is kinda reassuring but I was sort of hoping it’d be Stephen King, just for the lolz

13. Pablo on July 17th, 2010 at 14:50