Quote of the day from Banksie
Posted on 09:26, May 18th, 2010 by Lew
Well, I don’t happen to take much legal advice from lawyers.
Regarding leaky homes, a problem caused by deregulation under the government of which John Banks was a part. Listen to the whole interview with a somewhat exasperated Sean Plunket. It’s worth it to hear Banksie argue that:
- That we need to “get money into the hands of Bob the Builder” rather than giving it to the lawyers
- … even though “of course” (he says) it’s Bob the Builder who caused the problem … and people can still sue Bob the Builder “if they can find these people and get hold of them legally”
- … while admitting that there’s no real prospect of that since those responsible mostly have “walked away from their responsibilities”
- … and conceding that the amount spent on laywers so far would cover only a tiny proportion of the total cost of leaky homes in any case.
- That he “doesn’t think there’s any right and wrong” in the arguments around leaky homes;
- That some people have been held to account, but he can’t name them;
- That the magnanimous “John Key government” has said it is “morally responsible” while not being actually responsible;
- and that he (personally) is taking responsibility, but that he has no recollection of precisely why the regulations were passed (by his government).
Enough to make your head spin.