Important question

datePosted on 11:01, March 4th, 2010 by Lew

Given that in 20 months’ time, we’ll be able to watch the All Blacks get thrashed on four different free-to-air channels simultaneously, why can’t we watch the All Whites get thrashed by Mexico on even one channel today?

L

categoryPosted in identity, Media | printPrint

7 Responses to “Important question”

1. StephenR on March 4th, 2010 at 14:34

Huh. I just assumed it’d at least be on sky. Bugger.

2. ak on March 4th, 2010 at 14:51

….curse these damned tellyban ruggermentalists…

(it is on Sky Stevo – but not on what the tories refer to as “peasant TV”)

3. Rich on March 4th, 2010 at 20:35

Are you not aware of the concept of cultural hegemony? I thought you were academics?

4. Carrier on March 4th, 2010 at 21:53

Can’t understand why you want or expect to “watch the All Blacks get thrashed”. Not a particularly patriotic comment, but your call.

The soccer, a mere “friendly”, was screened live on Sky TV – I watched it. Why are you unwilling to pay for your specialised viewing, or must everything be supplied by the Government?

5. Lew on March 4th, 2010 at 22:31

Yeah, I was talking about free-to-air TV. The Bahrain match was screened free-to-air, why not this one? Carrier, it’s not that I want the All Blacks to get thrashed, but that’s been true in the past as well. As for me actually being able to watch it — I work in a media office: we have a big stack of sky decoders and I can watch what I like. So it’s not about me. And what the hell has it got to do with the government?

Rich, I don’t even see what you’re on about here. Yes, hegemony. Huh?

L

6. jcuknz on March 5th, 2010 at 08:39

Doesn’t bother me in the slightest becuase firstly I’m not interested in either sport and don’t waste time watching TV :-)

7. Carrier on March 6th, 2010 at 16:10

The Bahrain match was a competitive World Cup final qualifier, while the Mexico match was a friendly. I pointed out the latter fact in my comment, but strangely you seem to have ignored it as a factor.

If popular sport is on free-to-air it’s usually screened through a Government-funded channel and/or (as in RWC 2011) because of Government intervention in response to (anticipated) public pressure. I see your original comment as very much that kind of pressure.

If an offshore “friendly” match (in a sport in which NZ is ranked only 80th in the world) has any real viewer appeal for free-to-air channels like TV3, you can be sure that they would screen it. Otherwise, Government largesse is the only avenue that will meet your free-to-air whim.

My view is that you (or your office if you like) should pay for your own minority viewing tastes, not the Government.