Get off my lawn, you damn kids

datePosted on 08:15, August 26th, 2009 by Lew

exurbiaI will be scarce around these parts for the next few weeks because I am trading my beloved south coast for the one to the north-west, having bought a house in the ‘burbs. Three bedrooms and a garage, a character doer-upper with good bones which we got for a good price, our own half-gallon quarter-acre pavlova paradise. On Friday I suppose I will officially be middle-class, as if I wasn’t already. Before I know it I’ll be caring about things like whipper-snappers tagging my fence and rates and tree-pruning restrictions. Before then, I have to figure out how to move house with an increasingly mobile and ingenious nine-month-old.

This will require some significant changes, including acclimatising to what in NZ terms is a very long commute (by train, although I might consider carpooling since I’ve heard good things about the GWRC scheme). I will likely have much less time to write here, and elsewhere. But I will still be around.

L

7 Responses to “Get off my lawn, you damn kids”

1. r0b on August 26th, 2009 at 09:18

Hope it all goes well Lew, and hope we do still see you about the blogs. And don’t worry about the whole middle-class schtick, it’s just a phase, once the kids are gone you get to grow old disgracefully!

2. Boganette on August 26th, 2009 at 09:40

Good luck with the move!

3. ak on August 26th, 2009 at 12:11

Good on you Lew, all the best witht he move, best years, enjoy your wee one in her prime(and work on some more!) in paradise – and anyway, can’t you get some new-fangled gadget for blogging in commutus so to speak nowadays? Keep your hand in, this medium needs leaders of your standard.

4. BK Drinkwater on August 26th, 2009 at 14:13

Best of luck with the shift; will miss your always-excellent contributions. But tracking a 9mo is indeed a difficult task, worthier of attention even than blogs. Consider a GPS beacon.

5. jcuknz on August 27th, 2009 at 09:45

If you take the train and are getting on at the end of the line you should get a seat and be able to use a laptop … this is what I understand is the advantage of public transport instead of personal waiting in traffic jambs. Yes good luck :-)

6. George D on August 27th, 2009 at 12:26

since I’ve heard good things about the GWRC scheme

I’m mildly dyslexic, and transposed a few letters there… I thought joining that conspiracy was supposed to happen after you moved to the burbs!

7. jarbury on August 27th, 2009 at 21:42

Don’t let the sprawl rot your brain!